B1- B2 Medical English PLACEMENT TEST
This test has 8 parts testing skills on:
A) Vocabulary, Grammar, Writing and Reading
B) Listening and Speaking
Test time: 60 minutes
You can take the Placement test TWICE only. The pass mark is 90%.
0 of 32 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 32 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
EVERYDAY VOCABULARY. This section has 5 tasks.
Pick the right option A, B or C for pictures.
SPELLING & MORE VOCABULARY. This section has 5 tasks.
Unscramble the letters to spell the name of the object correctly! Type your asnwers in the given blank space in small letters.
3. ALCUSRIGI SVOLEG
COMMON WORD PAIRS. This section has 5 tasks.
Choose the right word (a, b, c) to complete the sentence.
1. My uncle was advised to _______________ smoking.
2. The young patient had a _______________ cough.
3. A patient with a weak immune system gets infections__________.
4. It is noted that autistic children often do not ______________ well with others.
5. Her arm was ___________ so much she couldn’t hold the spoon properly.
TENSES. This section has 5 tasks.
Choose the correct tense / verb form to complete the sentence.
1. The baby ___________ her knee on the corner of the chair.
2. A thermometer is used ___________ body temperature.
3. The doctor arrived too late. The child was already ______________ .
4. The patient’s family ___________ to visit him in the hospital.
5. The night shift nurse asked how the patient __________ .
TRANSFORMING WORDS. This section has 7 tasks.
Change the form of the verb, noun or adjective (written in bold) so it fits the blank space in the second sentence. Write only ONE word as your asnwer.
EXAMPLE: I diagnosed that the patient had growing pains.
Answer: My diagnosis was that the patient had growing pains.
1. The pediatrician examined the sick child fully.
The pediatrician performed a full _______________ .
2. The doctors’ decision was to perform surgery to help the patient.
The doctors ___________ to perform surgery to help the patient.
3. The old man’s left leg was paralysed after his stroke.
He suffered ____________ of his left leg after his stroke.
4. The patient was referred to a surgeon.
The patient was given a ___________ to a surgeon.
5. Cells in the system of nerves transmit impulses.
Cells in the _____________ system transmit impulses.
6. The laboratory assistant analysed the blood sample.
The laboratory assistant did a blood sample ______________ .
7. The patient’s GP prescribed a course of antibiotics.
The patient’s GP wrote a _________________.
MORE GRAMMAR. This section has 3 tasks.
Change the sentences below from active to passive voice. Write only the missing words.
Active: The GP referred the patient to a cardiologist.
Passive: The patient was referred to a cardiologist by the GP.
1. Active: Pharmacies sell not only tablets.
Passive: Not only tablets ____________________ by pharmacies.
2. Active: The specialist examined the sample under the microscope.
Passive: The sample ________________________ under the microscope.
3. Active: The doctor gave me a pleasant-smelling mixture to drink.
Passive: A pleasant-smelling mixture ____________________ to me by the doctor to drink.
Drag the parts of the letter to re-arrange them in the correct order for a formal or professional letter. The organisation of infromation should be logical and easy to follow.
Below is a scenario with a patient.
a. READ the scenario.
b. THINK ABOUT what you would say to him (explain, reassure, warn and so on)
c. PRETEND you are really speaking to directly to Mr. Jones
d. RECORD YOURSELF. Use your phone or computer to record what you would say to Mr. Jones. Your recording should last about 1 – 2 minutes long.
Your patient, Mr. Jones, needs surgery on his bunions. He has never had any surgery before and now needs two operations. He is worried about the operations. Also, he is unhappy that he cannot drive or walk as much as usual for a while after his surgery. Speak to him about what the surgery is (briefly!) and give his advice about after surgery.
SUBMIT YOUR TEST: Submit your paper and recording to email@example.com.
END OF TEST